Isn’t going gluten free just the newest “diet” craze out there?
That drives me crazy every time I read or hear that. So many of us have real medical problems when we ingest gluten. And not everyone has noticeable symptoms, but they can have very real medical issues.
These types of ridiculous questions, and subsequent roadblocks, need to stop.
That’s why I was really excited to see that a whole summit was created around the topic of gluten. Dr. Tom O’Bryan created The Gluten Summit to finally give a venue to a very important issue. The summit not only gave people who are struggling with gluten intolerances / celiac disease some much-needed information, but it also helped people understand how to work better with their doctors.
A Brief Explanation of Gluten
If you’re new to this topic, gluten is a protein found in grains like wheat, rye and barley. The easiest way to run into it is by eating packaged / processed foods like breads, pastas and cereals. It goes even further. Gluten can be found in food items like condiments, meats, candy and salad dressings. They can also be present in non-food items like lipstick, shampoo and medicines. Scary huh?
About Dr. O’Bryan
From Dr. O’Bryan’s website:
Dr. Tom O’Bryan is an internationally recognized speaker and workshop leader specializing in the complications of Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity and Celiac Disease as they occur inside and outside of the intestines. He is the founder of www.theDr.com. He recently hosted the paradigm-shifting ‘The Gluten Summit — A Grain of Truth’, bringing together 29 of the world’s experts on Celiac Disease and Non-Celiac Sensitivity at www.theglutensummit.com.
This summit is comprised of NY Times best-selling authors, doctors, nutritionists, dietitians, world-renowned scientists and so many other noted professionals in this field. The seminars were conducted by 29 experts including:
- Michael Marsh, MD, DSc, FRCP (Renowned Celiac Disease Researcher)
- Cynthia Kupper, RD (Executive Director, Gluten Intolerance Group, N.A. (GIG)
- Rodney Ford, MD, MB, BS, FRACP (Gluten Food Allergy Expert, Pediatric Gastroenterologist)
- Liz Lipski, PhD, CCN, CHN (Academic Director of Nutrition, Maryland Univ. of Integrative Health)
- Mark Hyman, MD (Chairman, Institute for Functional Medicine)
- Melina Dennis, MS, RD, LDN (Nutrition Coordinator, Celiac Center at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center)
Dr. O’Bryan and the panel covered lots of ground about how gluten sensitivities, intolerances and allergies can all manifest in the body in very different ways. These seminars were on topics like:
- Properly Testing for Gluten Sensitivity and Why Current Methods Fail
- Designing a Brain-Optimizing Gluten Free Diet the Whole Family Will Enjoy
- The Surprising Ways Gluten Sensitivity Can Affect a Child’s Health
- OMG – GMO and Its Connection to Gluten
- Your Body is Not a Bank Account, It’s a Chemistry Lab
- Gluten Related Disorders: Time To Move from Gut to Brain
- Eliminating Gluten as the First Step in Preventing Brain Conditions
These groundbreaking talks all brought to light that gluten isn’t just about intestinal problems, swollen ankles or headaches. That’s bad enough.
It goes much deeper than that. Other issues like malabsorption of vitamins (Vitamin D in particular), the effects on your immune system and how it even impacts brain development were all discussed.
Although the summit has passed, you can still gain access to nearly 30 hours of interviews with Dr. Tom O’Bryan and all the experts by purchasing a summit package. Check it out at The Gluten Summit for more information.[signup id=”1049″]